Well, it’s 10:13am, Friday, August 25.Â I’ve already been in 1 meeting and a on a conference call that have decided the fate of the project I’m working on right now.Â Describing the atmosphere in this office as “tense” would probably win the “Understatement of the Year” award, if it were not for the fact that it’s Friday, and everyone’s looking forward to 2 days of rest before the explosion of molten crazyness that is about to spew forth from Mount I.T.
I’m going to go back a little and explain the situation I’m in and why I’m about 3 seconds away of having a mental breakdown that would rival that of most psych ward inmates.Â
On August 1st, I took a new position with a company called Avanade.Â I’m pretty sure you’ve never heard of it, which is surprising because we’re 80% owned by Accenture (god bless Arthur Andersen) and 20% by Microsoft.Â This company does something stupid like 30 billion dollars of revenue a year, and we only have about 1400 employees.Â
Anyways, to get back on track, the project I was assigned to was for the COE (Common Operating Environment) Deployment for ConocoPhillips/Burlington Resources.Â What does that mean?Â It means that we are giving 3400 Burlington employees new computers.Â No big deal, right?Â 3400 computers; 15 guys on my team.Â We can EASILY do this in 4 months.Â …Â Sorry, what was that?Â …Â 2 weeks?Â
Excuse me while I throw up.
So I am given the title of DME (Desktop Migration Engineer) but am promptly thrust into the DME Lead limelight with a few of my other more skilled co-workers.Â This means that on top of preparing myself for the hurricane that is awaiting me ahead, I also have to co-manage 10 other techs.Â Alright, I can do that.Â But wait, there’s more.Â It also means that every day, I am part of a conference call where we discuss what is going on, determine logistics of the project (as we will not only be deploying computers here in Calgary, but in sites all over northern Alberta, as well as in Texas) and ultimately determine whether each part of the project is go/no-go.
When we started the project we were told that we would be migrating computers no later than Monday, August 21.Â (If you will kindly take note, it is currently 4 days after that date, and I have not been migrating desktops or doing real work but rather in meetings and on conference calls.)Â Last Thursday, starting at 8am, we had conference calls every 4 hours until 8am Friday (yes, that includes midnight and 4 am) with each team involved in the project.Â Those teams would include the Calgary/North Alberta and Texas DME teams, the Application Packaging team, the Infrastructure team, Logistics, as well as the VP of I.T. of ConocoPhillips.Â As of Friday at 8am, 24 hours after the first “go” on the first call, we received our final “go” on the final call and we all agreed to schedule the project to officially start on Monday.
We get to the office at 1pm (we will be migrating the machines after business hours so as not to cause any inconvenience to the users during the day) and we are greeted with an e-mail indicating that the project has been delayed until Wednesday.Â Say what now?Â Well it seems that the app-pack team misunderstood when we asked “Are you 100% ready for a Monday deployment?”Â Apparently they heard it as “Are you retarded and should you be hit in the face with a brick?”Â Naturally, they answered “ABSOLUTELY!”
So on Monday, we have a few more meetings and a few more conference calls, and we all determine that while a Wednesday go time isn’t optimal, it simply means that the project has been pushed back two days, and isn’t going to cause any major problems.
Well it wouldn’t have caused any problems if we had gone on Wednesday.Â No, it seems that on Wednesday, the IT team who was to be our first deployment group (something of a test group) was going to be moving offices from one building to another.Â Whoopsie.Â Were you going to tell anyone?Â Nope.Â Didn’t think so.
So it’s now Friday, and after a meeting and a conference call already under my belt for the day, and more to come in the next few hours, we have tentatively been given the go ahead for a Monday deployment.Â However, you’ll understand if I seem a bit skeptical.
Anyways, that’s been my life in the past few weeks.Â While there’s been a lot of stress flowing through the office, there’s also been a lot of positive feedback coming through since we’ve been able to do more testing and work out some bugs in the process that we would have never found had we gone on time.
Thanks for reading, and I do plan on updating this very regularly (hopefully every few days; once a week at the very least).Â If you want to e-mail me, you can reach me at: nexxai _AT_ gmail [put dot here] com