There is absolutely nothing like going through all the crap you’ve accumulated over the course of the year and deciding which 8 of 100 things you actually need to survive. Yesterday, while fighting off a migraine, I decided that I should at least try and be productive and empty my wardrobe of all the stuff I no longer wear.
3 green garbage bags and an oversized hockey bag all bursting at the seams later, my room suddenly felt like it was able to breathe. I could finally see the floor again and my closet didn’t seem like it was going to explode in my face every time I walked past it.
As I trotted out the bags to the shed where I plan to keep them for 2 months before giving them away to the Salvation Army, I got to thinking about how spring cleaning really does help the soul. The act of going through your possessions and discarding that which is useless is incredibly cathartic and I think it’s because as you’re throwing these items away, you are reminded of the memories that these items were a part of and how those events affected you.
People have asked me in the past what religion I would align myself if a gun was put to my head. My response to those people is typically that I believe in a sort of scientific determinism; being that every action has an equal an opposite reaction, it would hold that every reaction has an equal but opposite preceding action. “Good” or “bad”, every experience affects us in some way; it may change our mind about something, or it may reinforce our belief of something, but it always affects us.
With all of this in mind, the act of remembering all of the events that the cleaning brings to mind allows us to reflect on how for better or worse, this item got us where we are today.
Too pseudo-intellectual? Probably. But this is my site and not yours so I can be however I want to.
How about you? Do you do a yearly spring-cleaning, or are you organized enough that you don’t need to? Do you like the feeling of cleaning out the garbage in your wardrobe or living room or where ever?
I awoke this morning anxious to go pick up my new car. I knew it was just waiting for me to arrive at the dealership, caress it tenderly and abuse it in all the right ways. I knew this because 15 hours previous, I had been at said dealership, however they decided that 6pm was an acceptable time to close a RETAIL LOCATION. Idiots.
I showered and shaved, eager to hop in Terry’s entirely-too-loud Mitsubishi Lancer to ride the 16km to the Saturn location and greet my brand new baby with loving arms. Of course in being so eager to see my new car, I forgot that when bringing any kind of blade near your throat, attention is key. Being that mine was elsewhere, I soon learned what it felt like to have multiple slices of skin mysteriously vanish from my neck. For those of you who are wondering: it doesn’t feel so great.
I didn’t care though; I was getting my new car.
We arrive at the dealership, just in time for the dealerwoman to show me every possible feature on the car. I’m pretty sure had I not stopped her and told her that I did indeed know what “door handles” are for, I might have been there 5 hours later. I finally kicked her out of the passenger seat (she was showing me how to use the OnStar system – FYI, OnStar fucking rules) and I headed home where I was to await the call from the lovely Ms. Chiara, telling me that she was ready to be picked up for our first date… A trip to Banff to go picture taking together.
<to be continued…>
1. Jay Lumen – Clear Memories (Ormatie Remix) [Arctic Wave]
2. Greg Puppa – Falling (Original Mix) [L8 Night]
3. Deadmau5 – Alone With You [Mau5trap Recorrdings]
4. Ramzus – Walking Time [Grooved Music]
5. Ashley Wallbridge – Forget Life (Original Mix) [4Play Trax]
6. Evol Waves – Mini (Original Mix) [Coldharbour Red Recordings]
7. Mayday – Aftersun [Prescence Trance]
8. Asi Givati – Vibe (Rafe Nunes Remix) [Renno Records]
9. Awers feat. Re Coded – Nano Technology (Original Mix) [RoyalTracks]
10. Sander van Doorn vs. S.I.A. – The Girl You Lost To Riff (Darklight 2nd Mashup) [unknown]
11. Ernesto vs. Bastian – Super Jupiter (Original Mix) [High Contrast Recordings]
12. Sami Saari – Sweet (Mike Shiver vs. Matias Lehtola Remix) [Captured Music]
13. DJ Tommyboy – The Insider (Tragida Remix) [Infrasonic Recordings]
14. Element One – Ides of March [Falling Records]
15. Eddie Sender – Alternativity (Original Mix) [Bonzai Trance Progressive]
16. Gilbert Renoir pres. Dyor feat. Ken Spector – Follow Me (Alex M.O.R.P.H. Remix) [High Contrast Nu Breed]
17. Sagan and Jonas – Cold Waters (Karl G Remix) [Perceptive Recordings]
18. Tim Besamusca – Frontline [Bittersweet Recordings]
Time: 2:01:00 | Size: 222MB
Click here to download